Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon, you come and go, you come and go, oh oh oh...

My friend LL raised a question to his readership the other day about Karma as a means of finals preparation, and if good deeds count when you do them specifically to derive the karmic benefit for law school finals.

Rather than debate with him the rules of karma, ER decided to just get to it. As we were about to go down the steps to the A/C/E last night, she noticed an old woman with one of those old woman carts full to the brim with packages. ER said "let's help her," as I was basically pushing a toddler and his mom out of the way to get to the train. When ER asked the woman if she could help, the old lady responded in her lovely eastern european accent, "Oh you can't help me. This too heavy for a woman." Trace Higgs would NOT have been pleased.

Despite the facially non-neutral gender classification, ER started to help her, but was, in fact, having some trouble balancing on the stairs with the old lady cart and her 55lb Coach Weekend bag. Obvi, I, as the man, was then forced to help too, but was happy to since I knew I would probably get double points for helping TWO women. We finally got down to the bottom, and when the woman said "Oh, G*d bless you," I asked if she could specifically ask H*m to bless us on May 4th, 8th, 11th and 16th. Oh and the 21st to the 25th as well. My eastern european is a little rusty, but I am pretty sure she said "forum shopping! forum shopping! forum shopping!" and then she spit at our feet.

The lesson here kids, is that it DOES count when you do good deeds for selfish reasons, otherwise they wouldn't let you count those pro bono hours as billable. I plan to do more good deeds tonight, so if you need a pen or something, let me know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i need an outline for civ pro, K and props. do you mind sending me all the ones that you have personally slaved over this year? your good deed will most certainly pay off for you (and me). thanks!

Anonymous said...

Did you do con law yet?

Anonymous said...

As a newly developed throat-clearer, I sincerely apologize to my fellow library occupants. I understand how distracting and annoying the sounds might be. However, with all due respect, I do not believe that the inconveniences I might cause my fellow library goers are proportionately as important as my ability to study in the environment that I find most productive.